How To Embrace Difficult Times
January 26, 2023Back to All Posts
The Butterfly Struggle (The Man And The Butterfly Cocoon)
A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through the little hole at the end.
Eventually, the butterfly stopped making progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could and it could go no farther. The man decided to help the butterfly, so he took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then emerged easily, but it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.
The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.
Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.
What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were nature’s way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.
Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our life. If nature allowed us to go through our life without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. And we could never fly.
At Christopher Todd Communities we are committed to provide A New Way To Live®️ and that includes a stress-free lifestyle. But as life likes to frequently introduce us all to difficult times, we have learned that through struggle and sometimes pain, we are able to evolve into a beautiful butterfly in all its glory.
5 Lessons From The Butterfly Story
- We are all butterflies waiting to happen. The talents and skills dormant in us will bloom if only we give them a chance.
- Today a caterpillar, tomorrow a butterfly. Do not lose hope because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Always be optimistic.
- Life is like a butterfly – you go through changes before you become something beautiful. No stage is permanent. When bad things happen, as Bilbao said, we should say “This too shall pass.”
- How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar. The intense longing to grow is the first step towards growth.
- The struggle you are in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Do no give up. The struggle is worth it. As Bob Dylan said, “Behind every beautiful thing, there is some kind of pain.”
Applying These Lessons In Our Daily Lives
- When we are faced with adversity, believe that you will emerge stronger in time. Anything that does not kill you, makes you stronger.
- Always be optimistic. Believe that something good will happen to you in the end. This is called positive thinking.
- When there are problems and setbacks, do not give up. Be persistent. Eventually, you will find a way out.
- Turn your obstacles into stepping-stones. When you see tall waves in the sea, do not be afraid. Learn to surf.
- See good in every situation. Every dark cloud has a silver lining. No matter how bleak the situation is, it holds the promise of something better to come.
Remember, stars cannot shine unless they are in the dark.